Monday, June 30, 2008

EGGSPLOSION!!!!


I consider myself a pretty good cook, my family and friends think I am too.....you may all want to reconsider after tonight. It seems there was a run in between me, a half dozen eggs and a microwave. I've been cooking well over 40 years and I think I have pretty good common sense. Atleast I thought I had common sense. Not so. We decided to have a pre-4th-of-July BBQ tonight and I thought it would be nice to whip up some deviled eggs. I know they are probably very bad for you but between me and the boss I like the white part and he eats the yellow. I guess that's how you stay married for 38 years. On the other hand the offspring is a little bit me and a little bit him....She likes the whole egg. So I used my Ina fool proof method of cooking hard boiled eggs. Put them in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.....the perfect cooked egg.. Not tonight. I have no idea what went wrong. I peeled the eggs not thinking a thing about it. When I cut one in half I saw that it was not cooked in the center. What to do? I couldn't put peeled eggs back in boiling water (ofcourse I could) so I get the brain storm to cover them with paper towel and put them in the microwave for a minute or two....It was the two that did me in. The second one minute stint caused the eggs to explode like an overstuffed Pinata. When I opened the door of the microwave there were egg parts everywhere. Does it end there, no. In a fit of what I can only explain as a brain freeze I picked up a knife and cut into one of the eggs that was still intact. Big Mistake. Let the above picture speak for itself. I'll be spending the next couple of days cleaning up egg bits from the floor to the cabinets to the appliances....I guess I was asleep the day the Food Network told you to never microwave an egg.......

No comments: