Thursday, June 19, 2008

CORNED BEEF HASH.......OFCOURSE!!


The other night we really were noshing on hot corned beef sandwichs on rye at midnight....I have been in the mood for corned beef hash after seeing an episode of "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" and you first have to cook the corned beef before you can make the hash. So I started at 8:00p.m. and by 12:00 it was ready. Today was hash day. It's probably been two years or more since I've eaten hash, since the last time I bought it the stuff tasted like dog food..... No, I really don't know what dog food tastes like but I've smelled the stuff and I was sure this was mislabeled. I didn't even have the nerve to give it to the husband... I have made it in the past but never got the consistency right. Always staring me in the face, sitting right on the counter, has been my big red food processor. On occasion I'm a bit slow on the upstart......Miss "D" next door can attest to this since she hasn't let me forget the time I told her I had donated bags of used clothing to the Statue of Liberty....Knowing me for over 23 years she knew I meant the Salvation Army...she also knows when I say I'm going to the library I'm really going to the post office....Anyway, today was the day the bulb went off and I said "try using the Cusinart"......Bingo...it came, well, just like hash. I put slices of the beef with some Vidalia onion into the machine and pulsed it a few times, not too much.....then I finely diced red skin potatoes and pre-cooked them. After adding some freshly ground pepper, the potatoes and the beef mixture I fried it up in a bit of olive oil.....we "are" watching our weight.....I added a little ketchup and some heavy cream. It was very good........ I think Guy Fieri would approve!!

1 comment:

Rue said...

Oooh! That looks really good! I'm telling you though, add some diced red pepper next time too!