Thursday, July 21, 2011

SHAME ON MACY'S FURNITURE........The Saga continues...

Do you find that people think all women are Stupid???
And I'm talking even other women....

When I left you all some 5 months ago I told you about two sofas we had purchased
At Macy's Furniture here in Atlanta....
To jog your memory we needed to get one of the cushions replaced and when we
Heard the sofa's had been discontinued we requested a cushion off the Floor
Sample...
You can read the original post HERE and see photo's of the sofa in question...

Macy's got real testy with this request and said under No Circumstances would
they be able to give us "One" cushion off the floor model.....
Finding this a bit Odd..... to Say the Least....... I made many phone calls and
Finally got the floor sample cushion....

But upon further "sitting tests"......our butts told us that something was
Very Very Wrong.....
The New cushion was not the same as the other Five ???

Oh No.....it can't be that what they sold us on the sales floor was not the same
QUALITY as what they delivered....
Wanta Bet.....
Of course after multiple calls to Macy's Buyers in Chicago to express my concerns all they did was have their Customer Service department call me to tell me...."Oh that can't be So" Your mistaken....
The gentleman that called me thought I was some kind of Nut.....

He got me in touch with the Manufacturer....
Why was I dealing with the furniture company directly instead of Macy's handling this....
But I will say the Macy's Rep did stay in touch with me over the past five months...
And the ultimate outcome will be discussed with him in the morning...
I do have to say that he was very nice and Professional and I knew whatever the
Outcome would be that he would take care of me in the end....

The Bauhaus Company had their Rep tell me that there was no way possible that the cushions were
Different.....No Way Possible...
I agreed to accept new cushion inserts
But I tell her we were in New Jersey and I would accept them but it would have to wait until we returned and I would notify her when that would be....
Was she listening......NO.....
They sat on our front porch for one month until we came home for a week to check on things and found them sitting out in the elements in damp cardboard boxes...

This gets us to today....
We are finally back home so I arranged for the furniture Fixit Guy to come and put the
covers on the new cushions.....
What did he find????

Bauhaus sent me new Heavy Density Foam "green in color" cushion inserts.....
" Mr. Furniture Guy" says......This is the Best Quality Foam there is..
What did he remove when he took off the cushion covers.....
The Cheapest Quality Foam in white....about a third of the size of the replacements....
What was inside the infamous "Floor Model You Can't Have That" cushion....

A Green Heavy Density Foam cushion.......
You can decide for yourself but somebody is not being Honest......
I won't say Macy's knew that this was the old Retail "Bait and Switch"....

I would hope that the furniture manufacturer is at fault.....
But I still have to ask why Macy's was so adamant about me asking for the floor sample
Cushion.....

All I can say is......
CAUGHT YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




12 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Quality seems to be getting harder and harder to find these days, as are ethical business dealings!

Salmagundi said...

Glad you are home again!! I can't believe you are still having cushion problems. Now, will the new couch with the problem cushions fit in the new house? I'm dying to know more about the new fancy house. I'm even confused - is it in NJ or Georgia? I'm trying to be very patient, but we need pictures, please!!! Take care, Sally

Jojo said...

I'm just glad to hear that you've brought your butts right back to Georgia and I'm hoping Macy's feels the same way too!! Get those cushions right and let's plan a lunch!!!

Yvonne said...

Wow! I'm so proud of you for sticking this one out. I know personally how frustrating something like this can be. Now I'm finding it really hard to be fully trustful of Macy, as I shopped there for a high quality mattress and box springs several years ago, and it took quite a while to solve the ensuing problem.

Sue said...

Sue, Here's another way to look at this situation. I'm in the furniture biz and I will tell you that manufacturers often change their product construction without notifying their dealers; so it is very possible that Macy's didn't know anything about the cushion core change. And if they
DID know that the cushion cores were indeed different, they probably couldn't do too much about it. They should have been more upfront about it if they DID know something, however.
Bauhaus is a lower end manufacturer and the company and may have been trying to cut even more costs.
One company that we carry in our stores did something very similar. I ordered a sofa for someone after we both sat on the floor model. When the special order arrived, it sat completely different. When I checked the cushions, I could see that a much cheaper foam core had been substituted. Over the course of a few months, the manufacturer received multiple complaints from dealers and their customers about the wear of the foam, and it eventually changed to a different kind of cushion core. My customer received new cores when this change went into effect.
Dealers have no control over what goes into the construction of goods when manufacturers opt to change production methods and materials. Macy's reluctance to trade cushions with you could have been a totally unrelated store policy. I've worked for several major retailers whose corporate policies made absolutely no sense! Just count yourself lucky that you now have better quality, high density cushion cores. Hope this info helped you understand what goes on with the manufacturing process. :-)Sue

Lisa Pogue said...

Holy Cats!!! 5 months and all this, geeze...I am so happy to have you back!!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Your back and your cushions are finally the correct one's! Can't wait for the rest of the story! WELCOME HOME!

Cheri said...

Good for you!

Joyce said...

Well if you had signed your complaint using your name of Sandra Lee you would have received the correct cushions immediately:-) I can't believe they sent them when you told them to hold them for you and they sat on your porch. What a nightmare.

Houdini said...

Demand some extra form of compensation now for all of your time and trouble! Surely receiving an item which is not to the standard of what was bought and displayed is against the law? Fair trading? Public misleading? Remind them of this, as you ask for a credit note from them to assist relieving you of this unhappy transaction!!

I just had a dispute with Laura Ashley over my new sofa - and their appalling [or rather, lack of] customer service - and they gave me a credit note immediately to spend within their store.

Thanks for your lovely post on my blog x

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This seems like a total fiasco. Seems like you can't find quality or help anymore. So glad you finally have the cushions. Hope all is well. Hugs, Marty

Fairfield House said...

Sue,

I don't think it matters if you're a woman or a man, some corporations just hand customer service a script and they refuse to step out of the box and think. I had to call the bank FOUR times to get my mother a new ATM card because her's was stolen. The bank was just taken over by another and somehow during conversion my mother's address was changed back to her prior one of three years ago. When I argued it was done in error by the bank and not authorized, I was told multiple times: That could NEVER happen.
To make matters worse, they refused to express the card to us because the address had just been "updated".
I would have taken photos of all the cushions and sent them to Macy's with a note on your daughter's professional letterhead.

Your Friend,
Deborah