Monday, February 21, 2011

BUYING A NEW SOFA???...........then read this first.

After Boo passed away in September we decided that it was time to purchase
a New Sofa.....
It had probably been 25 years and it was just time....
So while I was shopping one day in a large retail establishment.... That She advertises for.....?
Oh and wait.....He advertisers for them also.....?

Okay now where all on the same page....
Their biggest Cheerleader...
So.....I wandered through their furniture department remembering that
my pal Joyce had gotten her sofa here and her sofa was pretty nice....
I came across this on sale....

We live very casually....after all I have three stuffed animal heads on my
Great Room Wall...
So when I saw this corduroy sofa in navy blue it appealed to me...
They had the sofa in two sizes....

But more importantly it was super comfortable....very bouncy....
So I dragged back the Boss while the sale was still on....
Ofcourse this particular store never has anything that Isn't on Sale.....
And not only did we buy one but we bought two....
Sorta a "His" and Hers".....
Both myself and the Boss are not lightweight people so we were impressed by how
sturdy the cushions were....
I sold furniture for many years and the first thing I asked was "is there inner springs?"
"Yes".....I was told....so we became the proud owners of two new sofa's.....

You can't even imagine where this story is going but please read on.....
It might save you a hassle down the road....
We had the sofa's a week or so when the Boss noticed that the corduroy fabric looked worn on one of his cushions....No problem...it looked to me just like a fabric flaw...
So I called the Sales Person and asked if we could get a new cushion....
Nope....Have to get a whole new sofa....
"Can we swap it out with the floor model cushion?"......No No No.....we can't allow that"
Delivery guy came with a whole new sofa.......I headed him off at the driveway and simply took a new cushion off the new sofa and sent him on his way....
Great......Ofcourse Not....
Another week passes and I find the same problem with one of my cushions.....
I call back and I'm told the sofa's have been discontinued...
"Can I just come into the store and swap them out for the floor model".....
"Nope....You can't.....isn't allowed...."
But I like my sofa's and I don't want to return them.....
So I bypass the sales floor people and customer service arranges for me to
Swap Out the Cushion with the Floor Model....
Now please take a good look at the above picture and tell me what's wrong....

Take a real good look....that center cushion is Their Floor Model Cushion....
the two on either side are from the original sofa that was delivered to us....
See something funny??
See how the center (Theirs) is higher then Ours....
Theirs is really bouncy and firm....
Ours....not so bouncy and not the same size....
Oh it can't be.....Did they sell us one thing and delivered something else....
YOU BET.....

Back at the store......the above picture is their sofa....
This is Their Floor Model.....with "OUR" center cushion.....
When we brought home the floor model cushion we sat on it and noticed considerably the difference.....Big Bounce.....ours.....little bounce....
Big cushion.....little cushion....
And remember this is the second cushion we have gotten....the first one "delivered" to us was the same as on the rest of the sofa....
The store cushion.....not the same...
The Boss at first didn't want to address this problem....
But after we went back to the store a few days later to pay our bill and we saw the floor model with our cushion....Well....I got the go ahead to raise all kinds of Hell.....

After explaining my credentials to the General Manager .....
30 odd years in retail selling home furnishings...
and after I walked him over to the sofa and showed him the cushions....
Well....what could he say....NOTHING.....he politely asked me what I wanted....
The floor models had since been reduced so I asked for the marked down price....
No Problem....He was very nice.....he adjusted our bill and sent me on my way..
I was happy with the discount and He Knew that I Knew what was going one....
The old bait and switch....
You buy one thing.....and they switch it out with one of lesser quality.....

Well.....that's not the end of the story.....
The other day....I was turning over the cushions...I do this every week for even wear....
When I went to lift up one of the side cushions my hand literally went right into the side of the cushion.....There is a huge hole in the foam....it's actually collapsing....

Service is coming out on March 9th.....
In the meantime I have put a call through to their corporate office in NYC to speak to their furniture buyer.....
I would like to think.....since I Worked for This Company for 10 years back in the 70's....
That they have no idea that the manufacturer is doing this....
They will know about it now.....

I know Cheri......your going to say "This can only happen to Sue".....
But I would like to think that I was put on this earth to catch people at doing bad things.....
And to Call them on it....

29 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

You go girl!! I hate that this happens and when you pay good money for something it isn't right to get inferior quality! I hope you get good sofas!

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Sorry you are having this problem, but YOU GO GIRL!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Yes, you go girl! Furniture Detective! I HATE shopping for furniture for reasons just like this....and your story is extreme! I am glad you got a discount but what a pain.

gail said...

wow that is just a nightmare...you shouldn't have to go through all this just to buy a new sofa...no such thing as quality or customer service anymore!
gail

Kathleen Grace said...

Wow, bait and switch is just plain dirty! Did they have an explanation? Probably not. Give em what for! Maybe you should start a new career as a consumer advocate!

Salmagundi said...

Way to go! Thank goodness I've only had to shop for couches twice in my married life. The last time (14 years ago) I went the custom-made route, and couldn't be happier. You deserve a good sofa - keep at it until you get satisfaction!!! Take care, Sally

Cheri said...

You know me well... LOL

Sorry this happened to you but if there was anyone on this Earth (other than Joyce) that could give someone holy hell and call them on it... it would be you. I for one am glad... just thrilled that you are calling them on it.

I am cheering you from the side lines.

You Go Girl!

Sue said...

Thanks guys for all you encouragement!!....when daughter heard we were orignally having a problem she said...."Mom, don't try to be Clark Howard".....But I like to think of myself as a
One women Better Business Bureau...I'll let you all know what happens when corporate calls me back!

Kathleen said...

You are being kind not mentioning the name. I have never heard of showing a diff model. Disgusting!

Joyce said...

That cushion speaks 1,000 words. I would email the furniture buyer the photos.
Joyce

Mimi Sue said...

I truly believe you should get what you pay for. If we all would make a fuss then these things might not happen. Let us know how it all turns out. Mimi

Simply Debbie said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! What is right is right and what is wrong needs to be called on it and I am glad you are.
My husband would not want me to say a word and I would say...you might as well burn your money in the street.
They knew what they were doing and that is why they did not want to swap the pillows on the display....SHAME ON THEM
Keep us informed....we are usually the one that things like this happen too...
hugs...hugs...hugs
Have A Sugar Sweet Da
Simply Debbie

Jennifer said...

good that you followed up. most of us are too busy and they get away with it...I never would have thought they swapped out...
if you go to ny you will love the helmsely park lane...we were on the 36th floor w great views of central park!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

odg Sue! What a fiasco ~ good for you for following it through to the top. If anyone has the drive and moxie to get it done, it's you. Hang in there and please let us know how it all turns out. ((hugs)) ~m.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Gosh, Sue, your adventures never end! This is quite a tale of furniture woes and I can't wait to see what transpires. I guess there are some dishonest people out there, unfortunately. I vote for the bouncier, bigger cushions!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gosh.... I had no idea stores could pull this type of stunt! I'm soooo shocked! And, now that I'm in the know I'll watch for this kind of thing next time I buy furniture!

I'm so sorry you've gone through this nasty ordeal.... Hopefully everything's all settled now and your comfy as can be on your new sofas!

Huggies,
Spencer

Julie Harward said...

What a pain in the head...I feel so bad that you had to go through this...stay after them and make them make it right for you! (On the muffins, yes, only 1/2 cup!) ;D

FairfieldHouse said...

Sue,

I would (and have) done exactly as you do. I thank you for blowing the whistle and not quietly accepting the 'switch' product. Too many do, which is why it continues to happen. I hope you get some satisfaction on March 9.

Your Friend,
Deborah

Chatty Crone said...

Would love to know where you bought this.

Anyway what a great service you have done for others who haven't worked in the industry.

I never even thought about something like this.

YOU GO GIRL!

Sorry for your problem though.

Love,
sandie

Donna said...

Wow, interesting....I can't believe they can do that. Hope it all ends up well!

Hugs,
Donna

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! Thank you for telling this story because a sofa is a big deal purchase and it is good to know those little tricks the stores might have. Just one more reason the buyer must beware.

Yvonne said...

Well...your post soured me on Macy's in two minutes flat! Sorry you're going through all that. You go girl...you're my hero for standing up to them.

Lisa Pogue said...

Holy Cats Sue, this is crazy!!! The prices we pay for furniture, they should be breaking their necks to take care of us!!!! You go get em!!!!

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

I'm actually going to say, "this only happens to you, Sue." :-) We're actually 0 for 2 in our last two outings with the very same department store (a swivel chair and sofa). While the store was accomodating, both pieces had to be replaced (the delivery guys were the same each of the four times and even they were like, "wow...this isn't very good.") I often wonder if we should have just bit the bullet and plunked down $2K for a sofa at a higher end store. It's not in my nature to spend a lot (I know you find this shocking, lol!) but the M_ _ _ *S furniture buyers are really buying junque these days.

Curtains in My Tree said...

You go girl give them hell for all of us


Send in pictures or just take them

Janice

Anonymous said...

I think we were put on the earth for the same reason!

Sort them out - know what you want and don't stop 'til you get it!

Ax

Jill said...

Wow, sorry to hear you had to go through this! Good for you for not backing down! :-)
Best wishes with everything!

Blessings
,Jill

Pondside said...

Good for you! I think that is a terrible practice and if shops aren't called on such things they'll keep at it.
Nice sofas though!

Susie Q said...

This is exactly whay I don;t shop anymore! *laugh* Okay, it;'s not EXACTLY why but hey. Close enough.
I am so sorry you hjad to go through such hassles...but no one could tell about this with such wit and giggles like you! And No one could fight the good fight better than you either!
Love ya,
Sue